Saturday, October 10, 2009

Alan & I refinished Mom's hardwood floor. Sept 2009

We have talked about for years redoing the hardwood floor at Mom's house. And after the Nicole's dog got really sick and ruined the carpet in the front room...we decided that it was a good time to do the floors.

Mom was planning a trip to California to visit her sister Maxine. So that is the week that we took everything outside and covered it, and started on the floor. I had so much fun working with Alan on this project. (I think he had fun too!) Mark & Alan's family also helped us with this project.
We rented the sander, and started working. We where so excited to use the sander, we didn't think to strip the old wax and finish off the floor. That sander was so much fun to use! I had to fight Alan to use it. LOL I used the broom mostly and cleaned up after him. That was even fun to do, cuz, we were doing this together and doing it for our Mom.

Alan sanding the hallway. That is all the dust that was in the air. We where both covered in after each day that we worked. I worried about Alan, but, he kept telling me that he was ok.

The floor while we where sanding it. That is a pile of the saw dust from sanding.
Sanding around the edges, where the big sander didn't get to. That was not as fun as the bit sander. LOL
This is Alan, putting the stain on the floor. There is also a funny story to go with this one. We just got back from buying the stain, I went over to get Mark to help us...Alan and his Grandson Alan carried everything in the house. One of the cans of stain slipped out of his hand and bust open on the floor. When I came in, I was thinking that is a lot of stain to put down all at once. And Alan was working so fast trying to get it worked in. Then when I found out what really happened...I laugh now every time I think about it.

This the floor after it was all finished. I really did not want to make this color, I wanted it to be a really light, because the wood was just so beatiful with no stain on it. But, there was a few really dark stains on the wood that we could not get out. (From years of having carpet on it.) So, we choose this dark color. Now everytime I go over to her house....well, lets say "Ilove it!"

No comments: